Dr. Kelly Smith, a native of New Braunfels, TX, received his Bachelor of Arts degree in 1996 from Austin College in Sherman, TX, and his MD degree from The University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio, TX, in 2000. He completed his internship and residency in both Internal Medicine and Pediatrics at the University of Kentucky Chandler Medical Center in Lexington, KY, and was appointed to Chief Resident of Internal Medicine and Pediatrics. He then moved his home to Texas and completed his fellowship in Pediatric Pulmonology at Texas Children’s Hospital (the largest children’s hospital in the world and consistently ranked as one of the top pediatric hospitals in the nation) and Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, TX, from 2004-2007. He pursued additional training and research in Sleep Medicine at the Texas Children’s Sleep Center. He started his solo private practice in 2007 in multi-disciplinary fields of pediatric pulmonology and adult/pediatric sleep medicine. He co-founded the multidisciplinary group practice Texas Medical & Sleep Specialist, PLLC (now known as Texas Pediatric Specialties and Family Sleep Center), with his partners in 2009.
Dr. Smith is quadruple-boarded in Pediatric Pulmonology, Sleep Medicine, Pediatrics, and Internal Medicine.
Dr. Smith’s goal is to provide the highest quality of professional, friendly, compassionate, and comprehensive patient care.
Dr. Smith is married and has two children. His hobbies and interests include flyfishing, mountain biking, soccer, whitewater rafting, and travel.
- Smith KJ, Dishop MK, Fan LL, Moonnumakal SP, Smith EO, Bayindir P, Guillerman RP. Diagnosis of Bronchiolitis Obliterans with Computed Tomography in Children. Pediatric Allergy, Immunology, and Pulmonology. 2010 Dec; 23(4): 253-9.
- Smith KJ, Fan LL. Insights into Bronchiolitis Obliterans in Children. Thorax. 2006 Jun;61(6):462-463.
- Smith KJ, Elidemir O, Dishop MK, Eldin KW, Tatevian N, Moore RH. Intravenous injection of pharmaceutical tablet constituents presenting as multiple pulmonary nodules and declining pulmonary function in an adolescent with cystic fibrosis. Pediatrics. 2006 Sep;118(3):e924-8.
- Ivy DD, Doran AK, Smith KJ, Mallory GB, Beghetti M, Barst RJ, Brady D, Law Y, Parker D, Claussen L, Abman SH. Short and Long-Term Effects of Inhaled Iloprost Therapy in Children with Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension. JACC (in press).
- Eldin KW, Smith KJ, Moore RH, Mallory GB, Elidemir O, Hicks J, Dishop MK. Pulmonary Complications of DrEldin KW, Smith KJ, Moore RH, Mallory GB, Elidemir O, Hicks J, Dishop MK. Pulmonary Complications of Drug Abuse in Cystic Fibrosis Patients: Report of Two Cases. Society for Pediatric Pathology/Paediatric Pathology Society Joint Meeting, Tours, France, September 2005 (poster presentation).
- Smith KJ, Mallory GB. Successful Transition from Parenteral to Inhaled Prostanoid Therapy in Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension. Chest 2006 (in press) (poster presentation).
- *Smith KJ, Mallory GB, Abman SH, Ivy DD. Airway Hyper-reactivity After Iloprost Inhalation in Pediatric Patients with Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension: Chest 2006 (in press) (oral presentation).
- * Selected as one of 20 winning abstracts of the 2006 CHEST Foundation’s Young Investigator Awards.
- Kelly J Smith MD, Daniel I Feig MD, Daniel G Glaze MD. The Prevalence of Sleep-Related Breathing Disorder in Pediatric Patients Presenting with Hypertension: Interim Analysis of a Pilot Study. Third Annual Pediatric Sleep Medicine Conference, March 2007 (poster presentation).
- R.R. Deterding, M.D., L.R. Young, M.D., M. Dishop, M.D., L. Fan, M.D., et al. Diffuse Lung Disease in Older Children – Report of the ChILD Network Review. American Thoracic Society, May 2007 (poster presentation).
- Kelly J. Smith MD, Daniel G. Glaze MD, Daniel I. Feig MD. Characteristics of Sleep Habits in Pediatric Patients Presenting with Hypertension: Interim Analysis of a Pilot Study. 21st Annual Meeting of the Associated Professional Sleep Societies, June 2007 (poster presentation).
- San Antonio
- New Braunfels
- Chronic cough
- Sleep apnea
- Narcolepsy & Daytime Sleepiness
- Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia
- Chronic lung diseases
- Vocal cord dysfunction
- Neuromuscular Disorders
- Technology-Dependent Children
- Cystic Fibrosis
Specialty Board Certifications
- Pediatric Pulmonology
- Sleep Medicine
- Internal Medicine
- San Antonio Pediatric Society
- Texas Medical Association
- Bexar County Medical Society
- American College of Physicians
- American Thoracic Society
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine
- American College of Chest Physicians
Professional Education and Training
- Fellow, Pediatric Pulmonology, July 2004-June 2007
- Texas Children’s Hospital, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
- Austin College, Sherman TX, B.A. in Biology
- University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, M.D.
Internship and Residency
- Internal Medicine/Pediatrics, University of Kentucky, Chandler Medical Center, Lexington, KY
- Pediatric Pulmonology, Texas Children’s Hospital, Baylor College of Medicine
Positions and Appointments
- Private Practice, Pediatric Pulmonology & Adult/Pediatric Sleep Medicine, San Antonio, TX, July 2007-Present
- Private Practice, Texas Pediatric Specialties and Family Sleep Center, San Antonio, TX, 2009
- Clinical Assistant Professor for the Department of Pediatrics at Baylor College of Medicine/Children’s Hospital of San Antonio (CHofSA), 2014-Present
- Clinical Assistant Professor for the Department of Pediatrics at The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 2007-2013
- Research Investigator, Roadrunner Research, San Antonio, TX, 2012-Present